<!-- End of code -->
<h2 style="background-color:#cedff2; border-bottom:0px; border: 1px solid #a3b0bf; text-align:center; padding-top:4px;">
What is an article?
</h2> <!-- 3 line spacing of h2 is important for subsection edit links to work correctly, PLEASE DO NOT FIX --> </noinclude>
A '''Wikipedia article''' is a page that has information suitable to be in an [[encyclopedia]].
See [[Special:Allpages]] for a list of all Wikipedia articles and [[Wikipedia:Statistics]] for information on Wikipedia and its growth.
"Articles" belong to the main namespace of Wikipedia pages (also called "article namespace") which does not include any pages in any of the [[Help:Namespaces|namespaces]] below that are used for other purposes, such as:
* the ''Wikipedia'' namespace for pages about subjects related to Wikipedia (example, [[Wikipedia:Statistics]] and its talk page, [[Wikipedia talk:Statistics]]);
* the ''talk'' namespaces for discussing what the content of pages should be (for example, [[Talk:Mathematics]])
* the ''special'' namespace, whose pages are created by the software when it is needed (see [[Wikipedia:Special pages]]);
* the ''user'' namespace for pages that are used by individual Wikipedia writers (example, [[User:Archer7]]).
* the ''image'' namespace which is used for describing and attributing images (example, [[:Image:Great Horned Owl.USFWS.jpg]])
* the ''MediaWiki'' namespace which is used to define shortcuts and other text strings used around Wikipedia (example [[MediaWiki:Disclaimers]])
But not all pages in the article namespace are considered to be articles; the most notable exceptions are:
the [[ Main Page]];
* for wiki-statistical purposes, some extremely short and simple pages are not counted as articles. The criteria varied over time.
* thousands of [[Wikipedia:Disambiguation|disambiguation pages]] which are used to resolve naming conflicts;
* many millions of redirect pages which are used to re-route one page to another page.
The automatic definition used by the software at [[Special:Statistics]] is: '''any page that is in the article namespace, is not a redirect page and contains at least one wiki link'''. ''The statistics software currently has no method of detecting disambiguation pages, however; nor does it disregard [[Wikipedia:Stub|stub]]s (but in any case, many articles tagged as stubs are quite substantial) or stublists (lists templates with little or no content)''.
See [[Wikipedia:Naming conventions]] to learn how we title articles and [[Special:Protectedpages]] for a list of pages that have been made read-only to unregistered users or non-[[Wikipedia:Administrator|administrators]].
==Quality of articles==
Articles range greatly in quality, from [[WP:VGA|very good articles]] to [[WP:QD|candidates for quick deletion]]. Some articles are quite long and have a lot content while others are shorter (possibly [[Wikipedia:Stub|stubs]]) and of lesser quality.
* [[Special:Statistics]] - Current article count
* [[Wikipedia:Very good articles]]
Other websites ==
* [http://www.wikipedia.org/wikistats/EN/TablesArticlesTotal.htm More detailed (but less current) statistics]